[WikiEN-l] The George W. Bush article: is this still a wiki?

Brian brian0918 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 21:15:31 UTC 2005

I think this problem has been thoroughly discussed on the article's talk
page, and the evidence clearly shows that this variable drastically cuts
down on the number of random vandalisms. Please leave your complaints on
the talk page rather than fishing for support on the mailing list. Oh,
and I am that idiot. :)

brian0918

------

Is this still a wiki, or do we have a policy of hindering edits on
certain articles?

The George W. Bush article is rather large, about 95 kilobytes, but
fortunately like most of our larger articles it's divided into many
smaller sections which can be edited individually.

Except they can't.  Someone has *deliberately* inserted a
"noeditsection" directive into this article, and all suggestions that
this hinders editing are resisted, on the grounds that, as well as
hindering legitimate edits, it hinders vandalism.

I'm in a bit of a spitting fury over this.  It seems to be the
silliest situation.  If I want to correct a spelling error, I should
not be hindered in doing so by the action of some well-meaning idiot.