[WikiEN-l] A suggestion for more easily gaining agreement on AfD

Jake Waskett jake at waskett.org
Thu Dec 15 11:55:46 UTC 2005

There's a problem with AfD (actually, there are many, not least of which
is people ignoring policy, but let me focus on this one). It's very hard
to achieve consensus. We're currently in the bizarre situation in which
opinion is divided over whether to delete or merge, and as a result
neither is done, and an appalling article remains.

I believe that the problem is due to the three available options, and I
believe that there may be a solution: always express a first and second
choice.

Where there's a clear consensus on first choices, ignore second choices.
Otherwise, look at first and second choices together.

I recognise that this treats AfD as a vote, while for some reason that
is seen as a bad thing, but at least it would be an improvement.

It may be a stupid idea, but I wonder what people think?

Jakew