[WikiEN-l] Re: SPOV threatens NPOV

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 05:54:07 UTC 2005

When Newton originally presented his theory of gravity it was seriously
attacked by his contemporaries as being comprised of "occult forces" rather
than being a truly mechanistic physics (like Cartesian physics). Now we all
know how that worked out in the end -- not only did Newton triumph, but even
what science was ended up being redefined in the process. And it has been
redefined many times since then, in different ways and different fields --
each time something initially incompatible becomes the accepted norm, it
changes not only the evidence, but the entire standard of what counts as
evidence and even what counts as argumentation. This is a well-documented
phenomena, and even the most positivistic of philosophers acknowledge this
to some degree.

FF