[WikiEN-l] The a7 speedy

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed Dec 14 14:31:02 UTC 2005

G'day David,

> Tony Sidaway wrote:
>
>>It's been a while since I did a speedy patrol to check how our
>>newpages patrollers were handling the A7 "no assertion of notability"
>>criterion. I was rather shocked. by what I encountered in two short
>>bouts of patrolling this morning and at lunchtime.
>>In the following, I list *only* the points of notability that were
>>contained in the articles at the time they were speedied as
>>"non-notable".
>
> Did you leave notes for them all?

I only looked at the first one (the Congressman), and that wasn't A7.
There was no rationale given for speedying it at all, and I'm kinda
baffled as to why anyone thought it would be speediable for any reason
(check the history).  A7 may be contributing to the problem, but it's
not the sole cause: we have articles being deleted, or at least tagged
for deletion with no rationale provided, simply because they need cleanup.

> A7 is way too unclear, and some fools want to *expand* it.

How unclear is "no assertion of notability" for biographical articles?
If it says he was Secretary General of the UN, you don't delete.

Re: expansion, all I've heard on that front is people asking that band
vanity be speediable.  This doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me,
although the question of what to do with borderline cases is a big one.
  Consider garage bands that formed last week and haven't even decided
what songs they want to cover, let alone done any gigs or considered
writing their own songs, but have definitely had time to create a
Wikipedia entry ...

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"