[WikiEN-l] Next experiment: switch off AFD for a month

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Dec 14 05:37:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, David Gerard wrote:

> Justin Cormack wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 13:24 +0000, Tony Sidaway wrote:
>
> >>No need to userfy.  Just add an "unreferenced" tag.  This has the
> >>advantage of permitting casual visitors to find and improve the
> >>article.
>
> > Thats much better.
> > When do we start?
>

> Whenever you hit "Random page" and get an article with no references and
> no external links that isn't a stub. That's how I do it! Get in the
> habit until people get the idea about these things.
>
> Heck, it strikes me as eminently bot-assistable - no external links, no
> word "References" or "Sources", no stub message, flag it for the
> operator to press the button on.

There's a couple of glitches with that approach.

One is that you'll end up mislabelling a lot of my articles: my choice
of terms has been "Bibliography" (which I used at first) & "Notes".

Another is that you'll miss one sneaky misuse of the concept of "citing
sources": for some articles, an editor will mention several authors
& describe their POVs in the article -- only to omit any information
that would help to identify their writings in the section marked
"References" "Notes" or "Some Books I found on Amazon that Might Have
Some Relevence to This Article". The way the letter of this requirement
is followed (but the spirit is kicked in the groin to keep out of the
way) makes this section less useful had no sources been provided.

Geoff