[WikiEN-l] NPOV trainwreck

stevertigo vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 23:12:39 UTC 2005

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>I think we can distinguish serious and >thoughtful
criticism of the ArbCom from partisan rantings fairly
easily.  Suggesting >that I am stacking the ArbCom
with people whose >politics I agree with is quite
frankly absurd.

Point taken, and the criticism (as well as the
criticism of the criticism) is really just a red
herring regardless of which way you look at it.
I.e. short term appointments contradict the basic Open
model, and elections would have meant that no time
would have been wasted on the criticism.

>On the other hand, legitimate feedback to the >ArbCom
like: "you're too soft on trolls" or "you are too hard
on users who have just made a >minor mistake" might be
right or wrong in the >final analysis, but at least it
is legitimate >criticism.

'Might be right or wrong' sounds rather indefinitive
to apply to a committe charged with making definitive
decisions. I think thats what the general concern is;
finding a balance between definitiveness and
responsiveness.

-Stevertigo