[WikiEN-l] Quoting back list footers

Sherool jamydlan at online.no
Tue Dec 13 19:29:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:16:01 +0100, Steve Bennett <wiki at stevage.com> wrote:

>> Could *somebody* program the mailing list software used by this list
>> to reject messages that quote back the list footers, as done *four*
>> times in a row above?  That might put a stop to the
>
> <snip inflammatory top-posting vs bottom posting comments>
>
> Wouldn't a better suggestion be, if someone is actually going to
> reprogram the list server, to simply trim off all quoted footers?
> Computers were designed to do our monotonous work for us, after all.

Why not just "escape" it with a sig marker
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block#E-mail_and_Usenet>? I mean
add "hyphen hyphen space newline". Any standards compliant mail sofrware
will automaticaly strip anything following such a sig marker when
replying. Some clueless mail software (like Outlook) would still cause
problems, but still...

--
[[User:Sherool]]