[WikiEN-l] Next experiment: switch off AFD for a month. (was Guardian in defense of Wikipedia)

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Dec 13 17:37:06 UTC 2005

Justin Cormack wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 21:41 +0800, John Lee wrote:
>

>>I believe the {{unreferenced}} template already exists. I've seen it
>>quite a few times, but not often enough, IMO. I'm a fanatic on citing
>>sources, but some of the old ones I started that I don't really have
>>much interest in (like [[chicken nugget]] and [[double-decker bus]])
>>don't have references yet (AFAIK).
>>

>Well lets start putting it in more.
>
>Yes, things with little interest are an issue.
>
>I think I will have to make full list of articles I am interested
>in being good that I have contributed to, and prune my watchlist of
>the stuff that I just made small fixes to and dont really care
>about in order to make this improvement thing work.
>
>I might however have a few erudite references for chicken nugget
>in my large pile of history of food books.

I wonder how many people hold off adding references because they're
hoping for a better source. For instance, I used to not mention
using Oxford Classical Dictionary, because it's technically a
tertiary source, but many of its articles mention only primary
sources, leaving no secondaries to cite. Nowadays I just cite it
anyway - if somebody has something better later, they can replace
the OCD cite.

Stan