[WikiEN-l] Re: Turn off AfD

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Dec 12 19:40:27 UTC 2005

MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

>On 12/11/05, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>But undeletions as well as deletions should be proofed and
>>

>>>checked by the community before they happen.
>>>

>>Seldom works like that.  Anyone who thinks that AfD is the forum most
>>conducive to assuming bad faith should spend a couple of days reading
>>Deletion Review.  We do have an undeletion policy, but deletion review
>>is conducted in an atmosphere where any attempt to quote that
>>undeletion policy on the page is repeatedly reverted.
>>

>I agree, DRV is making it quite hard to get valid stuff undeleted, but
>if one allows just two people to agree on stuff like this I expect a
>lot of deletion wars. Addressing people ignoring the need to undelete
>when new evidence is presented in DRV seems more useful to me. Have
>you got any particular case in mind?

That you are able to recognize that it's difficult to get things
undeleted is important progress.

The agreement of two people to undelete does not imply that the
undeletion will necessarily be permanent.  Under the right circumstances
it could be deleted again, and two new people could undelete it again,
but my guess is that very few articles would go through the entire cycle
more than twice.  The deletion wars that you anticipate may be there
shortly after a two person undeletion is passed, but will likely tail
off within a month or two when the policy has had a chance to stabilize.

This is not about any particular case.  Policy designed to fit a
particular case is usually bad policy.  Either side can choose a case
that best supports his view, and it becomes a straw man in support of
issues that have nothing to do with the case.

Good policy reflects the way that people do things; it recognizes that
there is no need for enforced policy when the normal operation of human
nature gets us there anyway.

Ec