[WikiEN-l] The heart of the deletion problem

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 00:27:05 UTC 2005

I must say that I strongly disagree. Contention in AfD has nothing at
all to do with the rules that are needed for it's implementation.
Look, for every AfD-nomination on wikipedia created, there is atleast
one user who really, really wants it in the encyclopedia, and one user
who really, really doesn't (ie the creator and the nominator). One of
them is going to be pissed of, either the nomination fails or
succeeds. No ruleset, however simple is going to change that deletion
is going to piss people off.

Listen, wikipedia works on a few basic principles, as you say, but the
fact is that the english wikipedia is creating an enourmous
encyclopedia of over 800000, and it has to coordinate thousands of
users from all over the world to cooperate to do it. Without the very
strict ruleset that we have (which, by the way, arose quite naturally,
none of the rules excepting the core principles was forced, all of
them came out from consensus) it would never work. Take RfA for
instance. Most of us will agree that it works pretty smooth (atleast I
think so). The reason it works is that the procedures are fixed and
the rules rigid. When someone complains, we say "Well, he did have 85%
support and the bureocrat thought it was a good nomination, so he was
promoted. That's the rules". And it works fine!

Another example, take WP:MUSIC. Many nominations on bands and such go
very smoothly because inclusion-criteria is fixed and rigid. If only
we had such a good guideline (read: rule) for every subject!

Wikipedia doesn't work in spite of the rules, it works because of them!

Have as few or as many templates as you want. Have as few or as many
different alphabet soups as you want. Make it as easy as you want to
nominate or whatever. The deletion problem will still be there,
because the heart of the deletion problem is that people have a
fundamentally different idea of what should be in the encyclopedia.
And that wont go away.