[WikiEN-l] Proposal: Article Improvement Weeks! (was Turn off article creation AND deletion.)

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Sun Dec 11 19:20:04 UTC 2005

Carbonite wrote:

>I'm starting to like where this proposal is going. I have some suggestions
>that I'd like to throw out for feedback:
>
>- AfD would be turned off for the first two weeks of the month (1st -14th).
>During this time no nominations or "votes" are allowed. Any article not
>nominated by the last day of the previous month would have to wait until the
>15th. Existing AfDs would continued to be closed. Speedy deletion criteria
>would still be in effect.
>
>- The second week of the month (8th-14th), all mainspace article creation
>would be turned off. This could be enforced through software by only
>allowing article creation by admins (and this would be strongly
>discouraged). Talk pages and pages in other namespaces could be created by
>all registered users.

I'm not so keen on this, because a) I don't always have complete
control over which days and times I can do editing, and b) a routine
type of cleanup is to cut portmanteau and oversized articles into
several logical pieces. But then again I could use the time to
upload more of my pic backlog (assuming commons lets me create the
gallery pages for them...), or simply take a wikivacation because my
eyes are bleeding from retagging thousands of fair-use pictures. :-)

If you want to incentivize, then just announce prizes ("most-improved
in one week", "most stubs expanded past 500 words", etc).

Stan