[WikiEN-l] Proposal: Article Improvement Weeks! (was Turn off article creation AND deletion.)

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Dec 11 14:52:44 UTC 2005

On 12/11/05, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
> > One great reason to do all of this is to shake up the cobwebs in our
> > thinking.  A lot of our processes are fantastic, organically evolved
> > over time, and shouldn't be changed.  But they aren't all perfect and we
> > need to always remain experimental -- it's a wiki after all.
>

> Yes. One thing that pisses me off about Wikipedia is the committee
> committees to have a vote on having a committee to vote to ascertain
> consensus on having a committee before you can actually bloody *do*
> anything.
>
> (Which is one of the things I like about Uncyclopedia: blatant admin
> fascism! MUWAHAHAHAHA. Excuse me.)
>
> I vaguely recall workplace studies where changing *anything* increased
> productivity - it wasn't the new setting, it was the fact of change.
>
> So, experiment suggestions so far:
>
> 1. Switch off anon article creation - in progress.
> 2. Prefill text for new article creation.
> 3. Article Improvement Week.
> 4. Turn off AFD for (a week/a month/ever).
>
> Any others I missed?
>

> - d.

I proposed requring editors that aren't logged in to enter text into
the comment field, when editing the article namespace.  This would be
done with the intention of extending it to all non-minor edits to the
article namespace if the experiment succeeded.

In fact, of the 3 non-implemented experiments above, I think this one
would be the least controversial.

Anthony