[WikiEN-l] Turn off article creation AND deletion.

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Dec 11 14:06:10 UTC 2005

Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:
> How about this for an experiment: turn off article creation _and_
> deletion for a while? Freeze the table of contents (not that we have
> one)...
>
> So that all anyone could possibly do is to edit existing articles?
>
> It would force everyone to pay attention to the articles that exist
> already, and with 857,833 of them you'd think people could find
> something worth their attention.
>
> With deletion being impossible, AfD would become unnecessary... as
> would DRV. So, that should make one faction happy. On the other hand,
> there would be no opportunity to add subtrivial topics. (Or trivial
> topics, or significant topics). That should make another faction happy.

This could in theory be a part of the (is it a joke, perhaps not
anymore?) concept of a "working vacation day" on January 15th.
Fantasize that for a single day, we turn off anon editing, we turn off
account creation, turn off article creation and deletion.

Freeze the table of contents, freeze the staff, and have a day of
"cleaning up" without all the noise. :-)

--Jimbo