[WikiEN-l] Turn off AfD

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Dec 11 13:04:05 UTC 2005

On 12/10/05, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:
> G'day Mgm,
>
> > Pottercast/PotterCast (and podcasts in general)
> > Forums and Blogs
> > Bands (C-Moon - German, is it vanity or not?)
> > Schools (examples shouldn't be needed for this one), although I have
> > to admit discussion is pretty much growing on this. I'm sure this will
> > eventually lead to notability guidelines.
> >
> > All these could be covered by some number statistic and notability
> > guidelines, but a quick test to easily determine its deletion
> > worthiness is much harder. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to find one,
> > though.
>
> Bands are a good example.  In theory, we could say "failing WP:MUSIC
> makes them speediable".  But there's always a chance that we might want
> to keep articles on some of the bands which fail WP:MUSIC ... and that's
> what AfD is for.
>
> AfD isn't for *deleting*, it's for *keeping*.  AfD is the compromise
> between geni's "admins can delete anything they like" idea and Anthony
> (and others') disguised "nothing verifiable should be deleted, ever" idea.
>

> --
> Mark Gallagher
> "What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"
> - Danger Mouse

Actually, I'm fine with "admins can delete anything they like".  AfD
is a long drawn out process to achieve pretty much the same result
(while claiming that "consensus" is being followed, which it isn't).
I don't think verifiable information should be deleted (at all, if you
include moving to other projects), but I've pretty much conceded that
point.  I think we should stop wasting time pretending to care about
consensus.

Anthony