[WikiEN-l] Turn off article creation AND deletion.

stevertigo vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 21:09:00 UTC 2005

--- David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:

> > Anything that's ever been
> > prematurely forced
> > through to a poll was probably a bad idea. If it
> wasn't a bad idea,
> > decree was probably the right way to do it.

I like the logic here: 'Lets remedy what we claim to
be the problems with "prematurely forcing stuff
through polls" by forcing stuff through by decree,
assuming (with good faith) that such decrees will
always come at the right time, and hence be better
than consensus.'

Yech.

- s.

Jefferson distinguished in his later years between
what he called "aristocrats" and "democrats." The
aristocrats are

 "those who fear and distrust the people,
 and wish to draw all powers from them into
 the hands of the higher classes."

The democrats, in contrast,

 "identify with the people, have confidence
 in them, cherish and consider them as the
 honest and safe depository of the public
 interest, if not always the most wise."