[WikiEN-l] Proposal: Article Improvement Weeks! (was Turn off article creation AND deletion.)

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Dec 10 19:29:15 UTC 2005

Matt Brown wrote:
> On 12/10/05, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:

>>([[WT:AUM]] is currently trying to form a local consensus that supersedes computer
>>science with voting, so it must be a good idea.)

> More accurately, they can see the positive effects of getting creative
> with templates, while the negative effects are invisible on the small
> scale and thus easy to ignore.

Yep.

> The discussion we should be having is one of "Should we extend
> template syntax in order to allow more clever things to be done in a
> sensible, maintainable way that won't impact system performance?"

Or "Stupid Mediawiki Tricks are l33t and cool. But if you can develop
like that, please go hack on Mediawiki itself so this sort of thing
doesn't trash our database and our cache hit ratio kthx."

> Ugly template hacks to do logic and programs are not really the way to
> go there.

[[Uncyclopedia:Template:Wotd]]

(Confession: I just put this on Uncyclopedia's main page. Now to see if
JasonR rips my throat out with a spork ...)

- d.