[WikiEN-l] Turn off AfD

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 12:15:21 UTC 2005

On 12/10/05, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:

> G'day Keith,
>
> > Alternatively, we shouldn't shut down a system that works reasonably
> > well and performs an important task without having something that
> > works better.
>
> Ay, there's the rub.  I get the feeling those arguing for shutting down
> AfD don't feel that it *does* perform an important task.  Rather, they'd
> prefer not to have deletions at all (other than CSDs, which already
> apparently go too far ...).
>
> Mark Gallagher
> "What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"
> - Danger Mouse

I think Mark has an excellent point here. Some of the people
supporting AFD being turned off seem to think that. Others just want
to get rid of any poisonous feelings.

I think deletion policy should provide to deleting or shutting off AFD itself.
Don't delete an article if it is a vandal target yet a valid article
topic. If it can be improved, do so and don't delete it. We'd be
deleting stuff like "George W. Bush" and "GNAA" on a regular basis for
the wrong reasons.

If something is wrong with AFD, then those exact problems need to be
found and addressed. Shutting off AFD is a cop out.