[WikiEN-l] Do we have a "upload patrol"?

Sherool jamydlan at online.no
Fri Dec 9 16:45:57 UTC 2005

Despite the huge warning on the upload page whenever I check the upload
log I always find several images with no info what so ever, and a lot that
do have a copyright tag (usualy promo or screenshot), but no source. I
know there is a image tagging project, but AFAIK they work off database
dumps with means most of the images will float around for months before
they pick them up (at least the ones that never make it into articles), so
by the time they get the latest dump there are usualy several thousands
new images to work though.

I would think it would be a better approach to catch these images shortly
after whey where uploaded, that way we might even "catch" the "upload and
run" users before they sign off for good, and get them to actualy fix
theyr images. Maybe some of the existing RC patroling tools could be
modified to detect images uploaded with no tags and source or something.
There are fortunately not THAT many uploads (compared to regular edits),
each page in the upload log span about an hour (using the default 50
uploads per page).

A more "permanent" solution might be something like Steve block suggested
here
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Fair_use#Required_fields_when_uploading>.
That is change the upload form to include a required "source" field, and
simply refuse the upload if the field is not filled in (same with
copyright tag). People could naturaly just write "asdf" or whatever to
bypass that, but at least then we know the lack of source is not a "good
faith" oversight and send it straight to IFD (maybe even CSD, though that
would require a new criterea). But that would still require people to
patrol for these images, no amount of dire warnings will help if it's not
enforced.

--
[[User:Sherool]]