[WikiEN-l] Turn off AfD

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:03:07 UTC 2005

On 12/9/05, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Cunctator wrote:
> > MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> > > Also without AFD, there's still too many articles that can't get
> > > speedied because of a technicality. "More than one person bvut still
> > > vanity" and "advertising" come to mind. They're deleted 99% (figure of
> > > speech) of the time and AFD research shows those are the kind of
> > > deletions often uncontested.
> > >
> > > How are we going to get rid of non-speediable crap without AFD?
> > > How is everyone going to have input (the wiki way)?
> > >
> > > Turning off AFD even for one day will cause too much of a mess.
> > > Sure, we can clean it up eventually, but why open your bag of trash
> > > indoors when the garbage man is waiting outside?
> >
> > That's what you think the result of the experiment will be. But we
> > *don't know* because we haven't done it.
>
> True that last bit was my opinion, but we can't speedy something which
> doesn't fit the criteria (that's a fact). You haven't addressed my
> questions on how to deal with crap everyone agrees should be deleted,
> but is not actually speediable (like obvious band vanity, blatant
> adverts and the like).
>
> Can you please address those questions?

My idea is to treat article deletion like the rest of page editing.
AfD came about originally because deletion was not reversible, so it
was necessarily A Big Deal. Once deletion was made reversible (Brion?)
deletion didn't need to be a Big Deal.

So the elements of my experiment would be:
1. Turn off AfD.
2. Make deletion/undeletion a common power.
3. Follow the rules for edit/reversions to police whether deletions
are done properly.