[WikiEN-l] Re: Experiment on new pages and GFDL

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Dec 9 13:09:05 UTC 2005

On 12/8/05, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
> My crystal-ball prediction is that someday we'll end up with a
> modified (though GFDL-compatible) license, WFDL or something like
> that, more tailored to our needs. But of course we don't know all of
> our current much less future needs, so it would be hasty to worry
> about that too much now, I think.

Lawrence Lessig, working through Creative Commons, annouced on
cc-lessigletter that he is "launching a project to facilitate
interoperability among sufficiently compatible license types."  I'd
strongly recommend the newsletter to anyone interested in these sorts
of things.  It's a once a week letter so it's low traffic and usually
fairly interesting.  The last edition talked about how "Erik Möller
argues against the use of a Creative Commons NonCommercial (NC)
license" and how "content licensed under a NC license can't be
included within Wikipedia."

> As an aside, I'm not sure trying to make MediaWiki bend backwards to
> accommodate the GFDL's more intricate interpretations is the right way
> to go either.
>
> FF

I don't really think so either.  I was more responding to Ant's
concern that about being "strip[p]ed of one's authorship".  Forgetting
the GFDL completely, there should *still* be a place where people can
go to see a list of the authors of an article (without sifting through
10,000 lines of history just to see the 200 authors, or writing a bot
to do so).  If we're going to make this, we might as well add in the
years and the titles and make it GFDL compatible to boot.

Anthony