[WikiEN-l] Libel law

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu Dec 8 23:42:53 UTC 2005

G'day Andrew,

> On 08/12/05, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>>Frankly, I think it's ridiculous to think that the UK government is
>>going to give judgements against people simply for editing a page in a
>>section completely unrelated to libellous content
>
> I may be confused here, but I was under the impression we were
> discussing being sued _in a UK court_, not _by the UK government_.
> Very different things; HMG really doesn't give a damn about us and is
> very unlikely to unless we do something insanely stupid like publish
> Vanguard patrol details.

You forget, Anthony's American.  Americans don't realise that the UK
(or, indeed, any Western country) is a democracy with separation of
powers and everything.

Did you know that the Queen personally presides over all criminal cases,
and the accused gets no rights?  After trial she heads 'round to a
randomly-chosen subject's house (that's right, subject; there are no
"citizens" in the Commonwealth), and forces one unlucky couple to
provide her with tea and crumpets for an hour, while her dogs climb over
all the furniture.  Then she rides atop a double-decker bus all the way
home to Buckinham Palace, and if the men she passes en route don't tip
their fashionable black bowler hats, they are roundly whipped.

Americans: this is true.  That's why so many Englishmen (not British
people; all UKers are English) try to sneak into the country across the
barrier between the USA and Canada.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"