[WikiEN-l] Libel law

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Thu Dec 8 17:43:05 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am not saying that, a law student suggested that we look at the complexity and consider the potentials.  I do not think there is actual settled case law that would clearly answer the question of whether or not the Wikipedia Foundation can be held liable for defamation for material posted on the site.  I rather suspect that a good case could be argued that it was. An equally good case could be argued that it was not. The case would be stronger against Wikipedia if it failed to post clear guidelines regarding defamation and the obligation of every editor to alert admins to potential defamatory text, remove material likely to be defamatory, and to edit with some knowledge as to what generally is considered defamatory. Some of this is already being done. It should be expanded.

Please read these posts more carefully, they are complicated.  Please do not bite my head off.

-Chip