[WikiEN-l] Libel law

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 8 13:27:08 UTC 2005

Justin Cormack wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2005, at 11:28, Anthony DiPierro wrote:
>

>> But it's wrong to point out that most people on this list don't live
>> in the UK, and therefore don't care about UK libel law?
>

> Actually (ignoring the rest of this thread), UK libel law is probably
> the most important in the world, mainly because it is so bad and you
> can choose your jurisdiction. Cases have been heard where Americans
> sue Americans about libels in US publications just because a few
> copies reached the UK.

This is one of the points I'm trying to make.  Since Don King sued a US
lawyer in the UK courts, what is to stop someone suing a US editor in
the UK courts?  I believe the foundation has satisfied itself Wikipedia
is immune from Englandf and Wales libel law, but I think it is important
to establish the position to individual editors.

I mean, taking it a step further, although Wikimedia may be exempt from
a writ in the UK courts, if one was to aimed at Wikimedia from the UK
courts with editors named on the suit, the best recourse from my reading
of the law is that courts allow a full apology, retraction and some sort
of small financial settlement rather than have a lawsuit.  Would
Wikimedia be happy to comply with that even though it is likely exempt
from the suit itself?

Basically, I am asking whether the policy is shoot libel on sight.