[WikiEN-l] Libel law

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 04:58:55 UTC 2005

> The fact that Wikipedia's servers are primarily in the United States
> naturally caries certain legal implications.  We all know that.  That
> the law of the United States is in any way superior is not one of those
> implications.  Sometime we would appreciate a little less bushshit, and
> more of a recognition that the United States is only one country in the
> same world as the rest of us.

However, I suspect that content producers and publishers would
convincingly argue that in the matter of libel law, the United Kingdom
is very much inferior, to the extent that British libel law is an
effective restraint on all kinds of free speech that are legal in much
of the rest of the world.

Of course, those who are frequently written about might disagree.

-Matt