[WikiEN-l] Libel law

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Wed Dec 7 23:08:36 UTC 2005

Hi, Having been sued for libel several times (they never won), I am afraid that as absurd as Ray Saintonge may think it is, my understanding of the law is that Steve Block is correct:

> * Newspaper editors are often named in suits, at least within the UK.
> * The reason they are named is that they authorise content which is
>        published.
> * By saving a page, I am creating an edition which is published.
> * I am called an editor.

And as long as the page history text is accessible, all prior versions of the page are "published" even if the current edit has deleted the potentially defamatory material. And so not only are the people legally responsible for Wikipedia potentially laible for damages, but so is every Wiki editor who hit the save button on a page that contained the defamatory text, even if it no longer on the current page.

:-(

I, too, would like to see an actual legal opinion on this.