[WikiEN-l] Libel law

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Dec 7 22:05:40 UTC 2005

Steve Block wrote:

> geni wrote:
>
>> On 12/7/05, Steve Block <steve.block at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any thoughts on private individuals?  Are we open to libel
>>> suits if we edit a page containing a libellous statement and fail to
>>> remove it completely from the edit history?
>>
>> I don't think there are any legal presidents in that area.
>
> No, but it would be nice to hear people's opinions, and also nice to
> hear if any legal opinion had been given to Wikipedia regarding this.
> Look at it this way:
>
> * Newspaper editors are often named in suits, at least within the UK.
> * The reason they are named is that they authorise content which is
> published.
> * By saving a page, I am creating an edition which is published.
> * I am called an editor.
>
> Also note the [[McLibel case]].
>
> Those sued did not make the statements, they simply distributed them.
>
> I would think a lawyer will make a good argument that it is possible
> we can be named in a suit if we have edited a page containing a
> libellous statement and failed to remove it.

Your hypotheseis leads to an absurd result.  If I edit this page
containing an alleged libel for matters unrelated to that statement how
am I supposed to know what is libellous in that article?  By your line
of reasoning, if I want to be safe I might as well delete the entire
article.  Your reading would make busibodies of us all.

Ec