[WikiEN-l] Libel law

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Dec 7 12:43:17 UTC 2005

On 12/7/05, Steve Block <steve.block at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> geni wrote:
> > On 12/7/05, Steve Block <steve.block at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Is there any thoughts on private individuals?  Are we open to libel
> >>suits if we edit a page containing a libellous statement and fail to
> >>remove it completely from the edit history?
> >

> > I don't think there are any legal presidents in that area.
> >

> No, but it would be nice to hear people's opinions, and also nice to
> hear if any legal opinion had been given to Wikipedia regarding this.
> Look at it this way:

Under US law, we aren't liable for libellous statements that are made
by other people.  UK law might differ, but to the extent it does
that's not really all that interesting to most people on this list -
the foundation is a US company (with, according to Kelly Martin, no
legal presense in the UK).

Anthony