[WikiEN-l] David Hager is listed as convicted rapist

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Dec 6 21:27:48 UTC 2005

Steve Block wrote:

> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>> JAY JG wrote:
>>
>>> I've been have a months-long debate with another editor on this
>>> topic. I've been stating that we include people in "Criminals"
>>> categories if
>>> they have been convicted of a crime by an independent judiciary.  The
>>> other editor insists that we have to decide (by some means) whether or
>>> not they have actually committed a crime, conviction is not enough a
>>> good enough yardstick.  I'd be interested in other thoughts here.
>>
>> I have a simple thought.  My simple thought is that of course you are
>> right. :-)
>
> I agree with you, but community consensus doesn't.  I recently tried
> to get the criminal categories renamed to include the words convicted
> but was told that was unworkable since Butch Cassiday was never
> convicted, or something.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Categories_for_deletion/Log/2005_November_15#Criminals

I just added my vote in favour of the change.  Maybe more of us who
weren't aware of the vote when it was started should do that, and not be
deterred by an artificial deadline.

If Butch Cassidy wasn't convicted that decides it unless there are other
*clearly* defined criteria.. I think it's important to be scrupulous in
avoiding a lynch mob mentality.

BTW I see that Martha Stewart is not in the Criminal category even
though she was convicted.

Ec