[WikiEN-l] Libel law

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Tue Dec 6 21:04:25 UTC 2005

Sam Korn wrote:
> On 12/6/05, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:

>>That's not going to be its purpose, or even its secret intended purpose.
>>Current plan is not in fact to give money to the WMF unless and until
>>we're absolutely sure it's clearly allowable under UK charity law if the
>>people we wanted least to know about it were to kick up a fuss.

> Oh? So what is the purpose?

See [[m:UK Wikimedia]] and its subpages. It boils down to "stuff that
would be really good to do that would further Wikimedia projects"
without money actually leaving the UK except in certain very tightly
constrained circumstances.

There's actually quite a lot we can do other than send money to Florida
for database servers, important though that is at present.

- d.