[WikiEN-l] About our disclaimer and what I wish...

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Dec 6 19:31:40 UTC 2005

Kelly Martin wrote:

>It's been interesting to note the errors, minor and major, in the news
>coverage of this incident.  [...]

As they say, never start a fight with someone who buys ink by the
barrel (servers by the truckload?). The positive framing is to
start from "everybody makes mistakes", and point out WP's generally
good performance at error correcting. For instance, by aggregating
small amounts of available volunteer time, articles tend to get
more proofreading than news organizations can typically afford to
pay for. But it doesn't happen on a deadline, and so WP is slower
than news organizations at getting to the same level of quality.
Another way to phrase - "wiki is not magic, it's just different".

Stan