[WikiEN-l] About our disclaimer and what I wish...

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:26:56 UTC 2005

> "Now, you do have a general disclaimer on the site, it says that
> Wikipedia cannot guarantee the validity of the information found here,
> none of the authors, contributors, or anyone else connected with
> Wikipedia in any way whatsoever can be responsible for the appearance of
> any inaccurate or libellous information." - Kyra Phillips, talking to me
> on CNN
>
> I wish my response could have been:
>
> "Yes, Kyra, and let me read you the disclaimer from _your_ website:
> NEITHER CNN, ITS AFFILIATES NOR ANY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE EMPLOYEES,
> AGENTS, THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS OR LICENSORS WARRANT THAT CNN
> INTERACTIVE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE; NOR DO THEY MAKE ANY
> WARRANTY AS TO THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF CNN
> INTERACTIVE, OR AS TO THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY OR CONTENT OF ANY
> INFORMATION, SERVICE, OR MERCHANDISE PROVIDED THROUGH CNN INTERACTIVE."
>
> But I didn't have that handy.

Well, it's pretty obvious from the interview that she was out to get
you.  CNN's coverage evinces clear bias.  We do need to work on your
preinterview briefings, though....

It's been interesting to note the errors, minor and major, in the news
coverage of this incident.  One radio report in Chicagoland reported
that Seigenthaler was a former Senator.  At least one blog report
demanded absolute accuracy -- while misspelling Seigenthaler's name
consistently throughout.  Almost all the print and electronic media
articles I've seen misreport Wikipedia's URL as www.wikipedia.com
(instead of .org).  The conclusion I've reached is that the media is
no more accurate than we are.  I think it would be a really good idea
to take the media coverage of this incident and identify all the
errors in their coverage -- some of which reaches the level of libel
itself (such as the one that says that Jimbo ignored Seigenthaler's
entreaties for four months before bothering to act).  Their house is
no cleaner than ours.

Kelly