[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 03:12:56 UTC 2005

On 12/4/05, Puddl Duk <puddlduk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we have almost 600 fair use images in the pokeman category

That's true, and may or may not be a problem. The sheer number isn't
necessarily the problem, though -- images which are individually "fair
use" are still "fair use" whether there are two of them or 600 of
them. There is a case on this relating to Beanie Babies, I believe:
Ty, Inc., vs. Publications International, Ltd. (discussed at
http://www.ivanhoffman.com/beanie.html)

How the Twin Peaks and Seinfeld rulings apply to Wikipedia and
Wikiquote is unclear to me. Personally I'd be very, very suspicious of
having detailed pages about copyrighted material which is purely
descriptive (and not analysis, parody, etc.) or, at worse, relies upon
heavy use of copyrighted content (images, quotes), even if we are
non-profit. But I'm no lawyer, and this seems to be ground which is
not very clearly spelled out legally.

FF