[WikiEN-l] [[Wikipedia:Articles for creation]] for anonymous creation of articles

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Dec 6 00:02:56 UTC 2005

Sam Korn wrote:

>On 12/5/05, M. Creidieki Crouch <creidieki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Since anonymous users have been experimentally prevented from adding
>>new articles, I have created [[Wikipedia:Articles for creation]].
>>This allows users to request that a page be created, and list initial
>>content.  I hope that this will dampen the effect of this policy
>>change on the creation of legitimate articles.  I hope that others
>>will consider adding this to their watchlist and helping out with this
>>task; any registered user can fulfill these requests, or state why
>>they think a request should not be fulfilled (article already exists
>>under different name, etc.).
>>

>Um, in what way is this easier than, well, creating an account?

It's not, but there are a remarkable number of longtime good editors
who apparently do not want to create accounts (I've come to recognize
some familiar IPs). Part of the experiment is to see what anons decide
to do when a restriction is applied - for instance, if we get a surge
in throwaway logins and no benefit in content quality, that might
suggest the problem is with pseudonymy rather than anonymity.

Stan