[WikiEN-l] Experiment on new pages

Josh Gordon joshua.p.gordon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 16:12:43 UTC 2005

The scaling problem is classically hairy. A rating system should help; it's
a similar response to the one eBay had as it grew from a tiny community to
a  mob (on the way to becoming a visible slice of the universe) -- feedback.
Feedback itself had to be conditioned after a while, too, and I imagine the
rating system will need continuous re-evaluation. Likewise, this experiment
makes sense, to see if slight tweaks to the essentially no-holds-barred
editing-without-accountability paradigm can help produce the best
encyclopedia; I'm skeptical as to whether slight tweaks can suffice; it only
takes a tiny number of jerks to render such an environment too painful to
use. See "usenet".

jpgordon