[WikiEN-l] Did 71.247.13.53 deserve being blocked?

Barry barry at polisource.com
Sun Dec 4 16:47:35 UTC 2005

I tried starting a discussion over whether my edit should have been removed,
but I discovered I was blocked by Brian0918 for vandalism. In my edit I
fixed a couple of typos in my post, which I assume wasn't the problem. I
also moved Hamletta's comment from between two paragraphs of my comment to
right after my comment. I used unconventional code to make that work because
otherwise it was spaced too far from my comment. This is what it looked like
in the edit box (between the dashes):

--------------------
<ul style = "margin-left: 155px;">
<li>Y'all it's a lie. Siegenthaler did not move to the Soviet Union, and he
didn't start a PR firm. He was the editor, then publisher, then publisher
emeritus of ''The Tennessean'' up till he started the Freedom Forum. Any
newspaper reader in Nashville could tell you that. And you damn well better
have some proof that he was "thought to be involved" in the Kennedy
assinations, because I call horse puckey. No, this bio was a malicious lie
conjured up in some hateful person's fevered imagination.</li>
</ul>
::::::[[User:Hamletta|Hamletta]] 07:17, 4 December 2005 (UTC)
--------------------

After Hamletta's comment, I added my own comment (between the dashes):

--------------------
<ul style = "margin-left: 180px;">
<li>Are people allowed to insert their comment in the middle of someone
else's, like Hamletta did? That could get messy if everyone wants attention
like that. Oh, think I know why Hamletta did that. The spacing gets messed
up otherwise. I used a HTML list and CSS to fix it. Works in IE and Firefox.
Use of the asterisks to indicate a bullet should probably be avoided until
it's fixed and can be used when a comment contains multiple paragraphs
without spacing getting messed up. I'll continue to use it in this thread
for consistency.</li>
</ul>

:::::::More on topic...I believe so strongly that information in Wikipedia
should be confirmed that despite my comment titled The name and the sponsors
at [[Talk:Bipartisan_Campaign_Reform_Act]], I didn't edit the article at
all. There were a couple of things that I felt pretty strongly should be
changed, but despite my research and a quote from Library of Congress staff,
I thought it should go through some more checks and balances.

:::::::Barry ~~~~~

You can find the above content in the too-difficult-to-figure-out history
page at
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:John_Seigenthaler_Sr.&diff=prev&oldid=30113532 .

I think I gave a useful formatting tip that also explained my edit and could
prevent spacing problems and having to comment within another comment, and I
gave my opinion on how careful people should be before editing an article.
Strict content standards are best left for the articles, not the discussion.

Barry
http://www.polisource.com