[WikiEN-l] Re: New proposal for summary eletion of non-copyrightinfringing material, on suspicion

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 09:32:18 UTC 2005

"Matt Brown" <morven at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:42f90dc00512040220l5885ed5bwdbe8a0b755a341c8 at mail.gmail.com...
> Where is this proposal listed?
> The problem with this is we already frequently bite the newbies with
> respect to people uploading stuff they own that's already published on
> another website.  Being accused of copyright infringement and having
> the article blanked is bad enough for them; having them deleted will
> make people not come back.

I got bitten like this quite early on in my Wikipedia career.

I created [[Sharon Lee]] from material provided to me by the author, and her
husband ([[Steve Miller (writer)]] and it was almost immediately torn down
as a copyvio. I tried to point out that I had permission, and that the
reason it was so similar to biographies on other websites, including that of
the author herself, was that they all came from the same original source, to
no avail. There was some delay in contacting the author because she was in
the middle of a mad publishing rush. Not everybody works to Wikipedia's
tight schedules: sometimes it can take a while to contact somebody.

I believe it's still a redlink. I might go back and try again some day...

The ironic thing is that Steve's article is almost, but not quite identical,
and didn't get the same treatment: it's still there last I looked :-)
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]