[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Mon Dec 5 05:54:30 UTC 2005

Fastfission wrote:

>On 12/4/05, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
>
>>The bigger mess I see is large piles of artwork from within games or
>>anime - pictures of seemingly every object and character in a work,
>>displayed in lengthy list/gallery articles. Seems like it really pushes
>>the bounds of fair use, and yet it's hard to imagine the copyright
>>holders ever complaining much ("what's that you say? WP is using our
>>artwork to illustrate extended quasi-advertising articles for
>>''EverFinal Half-Life of Gundam Doom XXIII''? And for free? Excellent!")
>>

>The danger in this is that it could potentially prohibit the copyright
>holder to market the copyrights towards the creation of "authorized
>guides" to the content.
>
>See the "Twin Peaks" case at
>http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/9-c.html

Those examples put an interesting light on the "how much detail to
include" debate - there is potentially a point at which the text of
a collection of articles includes most of the content of a fictional
work (such as Pokemon), and is no longer fair use. In other words,
our articles are legally required to not include all possible
information about the work they're describing.

So who wants to be the Grinch that puts some Pokemon images up for
deletion, on the grounds that there are too many of them?

Stan