[WikiEN-l] David Hager is listed as convicted rapist

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Dec 4 23:12:42 UTC 2005

Matt Brown wrote:

>On 12/4/05, stevertigo <vertigosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>And that takes care of that.
>>

>Not exactly, but it renders it a much more complicated case than ones
>where negative statements about a public figure are unsourced.  Since
>they are sourced in this case, the question becomes: does this article
>meet NPOV?  I haven't researched the article or the subject enough to
>know for sure.

In some respects the Seigenthaler case is easier to deal with, *because*
it was anonymous and unsourced.  We don't even have evidence that there
were rumours circulating at the time.

Sourced stories of an accusations are a bigger problem.  A newspaper may
report a perfectly verifiable fact that someone was arrested for rape.
When he is released after spending one night in jail no newspaper
reports it.  There is no subsequent trial so there is nothing to report
there.  There is more to this issue than sourcing.

Ec