[WikiEN-l] David Hager is listed as convicted rapist

Fl Celloguy flcelloguy at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 4 15:43:36 UTC 2005

>1. Was this information spread to other web sites like Answers.com? Who do
>I ask
>to find out?

Answers.com and other forks and mirrors don't update that often, if I am
correct. It is highly unlikely that information that stayed there for only a
few hours would be copied. To find out, you could check out Answers.com - I
highly doubt that the information has been copied given its relatively short
amount of time on Wikipedia.

>2. Do we all agree that this is a BIG problem. Can you imagine what would
>happen
>if another major media source published Hager’s name on a list of
>convicted
>rapists?

I agre with you that this is a problem that we need to address sooner or
later. The use of Wikipedia for slander, libel, or political reasons is
huge, as evidenced both by the John Seigenthaler Sr. case and the German
Wikipedia's polticial articles.

>2. How do I (hopefully, we) stop this unregistered user (or any other) from
>doing this again? Being very, very generous, I will assume this was an
>isolated
>incidence of poor judgment. This doesn't change the fact that this libelous
>misinformation appeared in OUR encyclopedia.

Shouldn't this be question number three, by the way? :-) There's really no
way to stop it except to keep a watch on the article and on the user's
contributions. If s/he has a pattern of adding misleading information, you
may wish to warn him about citing sources and verifiability. If he persists,
a block may be needed.

>3. I can‘t unring this bell. The Wikipedia article is listed 6 in an
>Yahoo
>search of the words David Hager. Being a registered user, I will be
>associated
>with this article forever. While, an unregistered user can damage
>Wikipedia,
>Hager, and me.

True; this should only make us more vigilant and aware of the people who
strive to manipulate Wikipedia.

>Immediate solution? Ask everyone here to put his name on your watch list.
>Long term solution?…….

Sorry, can't read your proposed long-term solution. Short-term solution, as
you state - be more vigilant and aware.

Thanks!

Flcelloguy