[WikiEN-l] David Hager is listed as convicted rapist

poore5 at adelphia.net poore5 at adelphia.net
Thu Dec 1 19:15:56 UTC 2005

Hello,

Advice please.

During a bout of Insomnia-Induced Insanity, I did a major expansion of the article about David Hager. Hager is the controversial fellow that Bush appointed to the FDA committee on Reproductive Health Drugs. (Self-disclosure: We both live in central Kentucky and our paths crossed through our professions from mid 80's - mid 90's.) Being a controversial figure, I was prepared to deal with POV crap. However, I never thought anyone would put him on a list of convicted rapists. Of course, I immediately took his name off the list. He was on the list for less than five hours, from Dec. 1 00:58 to 05:19. This brings up several issues.

1. Was this information spread to other web sites like Answers.com? Who do I ask to find out?

2. Do we all agree that this is a BIG problem. Can you imagine what would happen if another major media source published Hager’s name on a list of convicted rapists?

2. How do I (hopefully, we) stop this unregistered user (or any other) from doing this again? Being very, very generous, I will assume this was an isolated incidence of poor judgment. This doesn't change the fact that this libelous misinformation appeared in OUR encyclopedia.

 3. I can‘t unring this bell. The Wikipedia article is listed 6 in an Yahoo search of the words David Hager. Being a registered user, I will be associated with this article forever. While, an unregistered user can damage Wikipedia, Hager, and me.

Immediate solution? Ask everyone here to put his name on your watch list.
Long term solution?…….

SP AKA FloNight