[WikiEN-l] An actual RC patrol? (was Openness is a means to an end. Nothing more)

Matthew R. Howard, Sr. vilerage at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 17:57:01 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:
{snip}

>What we need are teams of people working together in a way that minimizes duplicated effort. As
>is, there is no way to know if a diff has been looked at once before, never before, or 200 times.
>There is also no way to know what was being looked at (simple vandalism, subtle vandalism,
>accuracy, etc). Knowing at least the first part (how many times a diff has been looked at) will
>help a great deal. Sorting RC based on that would be even better.
>
>Better still would be to sort RC and similar lists based on trust networks. For example, I trust
>you and many other people. So edits either made by you and diffs checked by you should be OK in my
>eyes. It would be nice if my RC and similar lists de-emphasized your edits and edits checked by
>you. This could go one step farther: I trust your ability to judge whether or not other people are
>trustworthy. So it would be nice if I could trust by proxy all the users you trust. This creates a
>trust network.
>
>This could also be done P2P via an offline editor and thus minimize server load. The offline
>editor would do all the sorting after downloading raw data from Wikipedia.
>
>I think it is obvious that we need bigger and better guns to fight vandals.
>
>-- mav

{snip}
Something like that would be great! For every vandalism that gets
reverted, I can almost gaurantee 3 or 4 of us checked, and tried to
rollback. I'd also love to have more active admins in the
#wikipedia-en-vandalism channel (at least today I would have) The last
few days, it's been getting crazy. Lotta serial vandals.... IMHO, almost
anything that could reduce the duplication in effort would be great.
Maybe changing the bot, so that... a user could 'check in' with the bot,
and it would rotate vandal warnings to the users that are 'checked in',
via privmsg, and the users could in turn, respond to the bot {notvandal,
vandal, warnvandal1(2,3,4,5), etc} another nice function to this 'dream
bot', would be for it to notify admins of users as they pass thier 4th
or 5th warning that week/day/hour/whatever.... (on the same rotating
scheme, as to prevent duplication of effort there, too)... I've been
debating on writing such a bot in PHP:PEAR/SmartIRC, but work keeps
getting in the way... Anyhow just my thoughts on the subject, as a
relatively new vandal whacker

[[User:Vilerage]]