[WikiEN-l] Most read US newpaper blasts Wikipedia

kosebamse at gmx.net kosebamse at gmx.net
Thu Dec 1 05:25:26 UTC 2005

Snowspinner wrote:

>The objection that Seigenthaler is having to Wikipedia is not even to
>the process or to the speed at which we fix vandalism. It is not to
>our current quality, it is not to anything fixable.

It is to some pieces of obvious disinformation if not slander that has been
visible on the Internet. I wonder how many people form their final opinion
on a person or thing based on some piece of disinformation or slander found
on Wikipedia.

>The entire goal of this project is freedom and openness.

The entire goal of this project is to create an encyclopedia. Freedom,
openness, the Wiki thing etc. are means to that end. We are not here to make
political statements, we are here to write the ultimate encyclopedia, and it
is indicative of our confused state of mind that we are so concerned with
quantity of content, processes and (ultimately political) fundamentals
instead of quality of content.
If you want to write encyclopedia, you must attract the best writers and
motivate them. I dare say the present state of our community is not overly
attractive or motivating, because we look like a family that has inherited a
fortune and instead of looking for quality investments sticks it into
make-money-fast schemes. We should get rid of the make-content-fast way of
thinking.

Kosebamse