[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Aug 23 19:25:04 UTC 2005

Rob wrote:

>Your argument would be compelling were we talking
>about something like first ammendment free speech
>rights in the democratic US.  But he is not entitled
>to a "day in court" because wikipedia is not a
>democracy, it is not a social experiment, it is not a
>soapbox, a public forum, a commons, a message board,
>etc., etc. It is an encyclopedia where such a hateful
>and absurd dogma as Nazi-ism has no place.

Yellow card! :-) Officially WP has no position on whether Nazi
dogma is hateful or absurd - that is just another POV.

If it is going to become WP policy to pre-ban editors, then we
should be at least honest about it and put it up front on the
login creation page:

   "If you are found to be an adherent of any dogma that
    any Wikipedia administrator find hateful and/or absurd,
    your login may be subject to immediate suspension."

I suspect a lot of admins would go for this level of power
actually. :-)

Stan