[WikiEN-l] New contributor and article plans

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 22 08:51:45 UTC 2005

Michael P. Hopcroft wrote

> Hi! I just signed up for my Wikipedia account and have done my first two
> edits. I don't know how to start a new article, but there are several I
> want to do. I need to do a little research on them, but what I would like
> to do is:

Hello and welcome. It is easy to start articles.  Just type in something
like [[my new article]] in any page, and you will see a displayed 'red link'
(or possibly 'blue link', if the named article is there).  Click it and you
will get an edit box.  There is some important advice about copyright, in
particular, below the box.  We encourage editors to 'learn by doing': save
your article, check the box to get it on your watchlist, and see it evolve
as others work on the format, add to it, and so on.

There are plenty of style guides on the site.  But as we say, 'Be bold'.
Newbies are very much tolerated.

Charles