[WikiEN-l] On cultural sensitivity

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Sun Apr 17 01:01:36 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales said:

> So, yes, in the US large fines were levied for the bizarre Janet
> Jackson incident.  But also, you can flip the channels any night of the
> week and  see people having sex on television.  My local grocery store
> puts  discreet covers on magazines which have racy titles, and huge
> porn  stores are open for business just down the street.  In my town, a
> woman  can get arrested for going topless on the beach, and yet you can
> go any  night of the week to a nightclub where you can see people
> having sex  openly.  Diversity. :-)

Of course.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that the United
States produces more hard core pornography than any other country on the
planet.
But what you describe isn't diversity, it's dysfunction.  The lady
arrested on the beach doesn't benefit from the fact that an entertainment
venue has different rules in your legal system. Please don't try to
explain away the limitation of expression of non-Americans by claiming
falsely that they're benefiting by the exportation of a completely
fictitious diversity.