[WikiEN-l] Titanic, illustrated

Tom Haws hawstom at sprintmail.com
Fri Apr 15 16:45:25 UTC 2005

Rick wrote:

>Honestly, no, the censored image does not serve a more
>useful function.  The scene of DiCaprio's character
>sketching a semi-nude Winslet character is integral to
>the plot of the story.  A cropped photo of Winslet's
>face may be fine as an illustration of the [[Kate
>Winslet]] article, but not for the Titanic article.

I personally wouldn't feel right telling the rest of the Wikipedia
community not to include an image they felt was best to illustrate a
movie, and was actually from the movie.

On the other hand, I harbor this vague hope that Wikipedia might become
useful for my family, friends, church, etc.  It sure would be nice to
come up with some a la carte way to bring up a
family/church/etc.-friendly GDFL encyclopedia.

I had been of the mind that this was largely an issue for the
developers; that this issue was merely an extension of the article
quality selection issue.  But reflection on recent suggestions is
convincing me that a wiki solution with minimal developer action is best.

Let the Wiki solve the Wiki's needs.  Let the Wikicategories, and
Wikitags roll.

Tom