[WikiEN-l] Nude Kate Winslet Picture

Faraaz Damji frazzydee at spymac.com
Fri Apr 15 01:51:51 UTC 2005

No, Wikipedia will never be completely safeguarded, just like it will
never be completely finished.  But if we use a keyword system (either
instead of or complementary to a rating scheme), then images can have
metadata that users can filter out.  So if people are offended by images
of women's face, then they can block "girls, women, etc."

The best thing about this is that it won't interfere with normal users,
since people will have to opt IN to it.

A tagging system shouldn't claim to be 100% complete, it's just an
attempt to help people avoid viewing offensive images.  It doesn't have
to be complete- barely anything on Wikipedia is ever truly 'complete.' A
tagging system especially should never advertise to be complete, because
there will always be the possibility of somebody uploading a new image
that isn't tagged as offensive when it may be.

--
Blog: http://frazzydee.ca