[WikiEN-l] Titanic, illustrated

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Apr 14 14:17:52 UTC 2005

> >I haven't seen it yet and now you've spoiled the ending!
> >

> It's about the Titanic. It sinks.
>
> AFAIK, the movie is not about the Titanic sinking, it's about the
> aforementioned (hemi-demi-semi)nude Kate Winslet.
>
> --
> Alphax

The movie is less about the Titanic's ill-fated voyage than about the
rich man's fiancee who falls for a poor artist. It's a typical "love
triangle" story. And the signature song is about the eternal, enduring
love between the girl and poor Jack who sacrifices his life so that she
can "go on" with hers.

The steamy scene in the car, as well as the semi-fig-leafed scene where
Jack draws his new girlfriend, are not central to the movie. Even though
they are real crowd-pleasers, the plot would not have suffered by
editing the car scene so that the frantically-excited couple are merely
shown getting into the car and doing some intense necking (leave
something to the imagination). And the drawing scene would have worked
just as well with PG-type fig-leafing instead of the tantalization of
"Ohmygosh, is she really showing her wobbly bits?"

If we write an article on [[nudity in American film]], then the picture
would be an excellent illustration. It's not really representative of
Titanic, as the article stood yesterday. "King of the world" gets my
vote instead.

Uncle Ed