[WikiEN-l] Re: templates boxes: multiplying like rabbits

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Tue Apr 12 21:41:11 UTC 2005

Stan Shebs wrote:

> Ironically, the excessive templates create huge numbers of
> cross-links and may thus improve page rank for Google...

While it does improve the page ranks for the pages linked to, it
implicitly reduces the page ranks for all the other pages linked to.
Google's PageRank algorithm is designed so that a website cannot improve
(or reduce!) its overall page rank by linking excessively among its
pages; however, the links *do* influence the distribution of the page
rank available to the site as a whole among the constituent pages.

Does this make sense? I hope I have explained this well. I read an
article that explained this extremely well, but obviously, I haven't
bookmarked it or I would link you to it now.

Timwi