[WikiEN-l] Re: Reliable, selectable content

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Apr 11 02:54:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Ray Saintonge wrote:

> I think it's important to remember that we are talking about a first
> edition.  That does not need to have everything, or even to cover all
> subjects.  Many topics can be expanded in future editions.  The first
> edition should emphasize those areas where we have the best
> representation, and where there are fewest holes that need to be
> filled.  Having something in your hand that you can build on will be a
> great encouragement for everybody.  As things stand on this topic I
> think there are too many people sitting around dreaming of perfection.
> Perfectionism is also a big problem in the education of gifted children.

The point of my suggestion was to find somewhere to begin in accepting
Wikipedia material for the 1.0 version. If accepted, then the catagories
of material for the English Wikipedia 1.0 would be:

1. Featured Articles
2. All other criteria

If a consensus refuses to emerge on what point #2 should cover -- in part or
in whole -- then when the number of articles under point #1 reach 50,000
the discussion is over, & we go with what we have.

Even if that includes articles like [[Fuck]] and [[autofellatio]]. (Which
would put pressure on the committee to come up with a definition of what
falls under #2 -- & that would be a good thing.)

Geoff